Friday, September 25, 2009

Cleaning Naturally

About 6 months ago I started trying to find ways to clean house and do laundry using natural products. The reason for this came to me while cleaning the bathroom and gagging on the fumes. I thought, this can't be good for us especially with young kids and I have asthma. So began my journey throughout different grocery stores, Wal-Mart and Sam's. Yes, sure they all carry the now popular "natural" cleaning products but, Wow, they can come with a not so good effect on the wallet.
Thumbing through the "High Plains Journal" a few weeks later, I came across a column with nothing but recipes for homemade ,natural cleaning products. It sounded to easy, and it was. Most of the items I already had on hand in the pantry. Not only did I already have them on hand but they COST practically nothing when compared to store bought cleaning products. I found ways to not only soften my clothes naturally and inexpensively, but also an all-purpose cleaner and bathroom cleaners! I'm going GREEN! So, I thought I would share some of my new found recipes with you!


All-Purpose Cleaner
  • 1 part water and 1 part vinegar

mix in a plastic spray bottle

Fabric Softener

  • 1/2 cup vinegar in rinse cycle

If you have a front load machine, just put it in the dispenser

Or,

  • 1/2 cup baking soda in the rinse cycle

Top load machines only

Toliet Cleaner

  • 1/4 cup baking soda & 1 cup vinegar

Let sit for at least 5 min., then scrub.

Furniture Polish

  • 1 cup Olive Oil & 1/2 cup lemon juice

Obviously if you want to fill a spray bottle just triple or quadruple the recipe.

Dishwashing Detergent

  • 1 1/2 TBSP. baking soda with 2 TBSP of borax

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog